Approved at general meeting on 17 February 2016
1.Online catalogue ESTER (www.ester.ee, hereinafter online catalogue) has been established and is managed by non-profit association Estonian Libraries Network Consortium (hereinafter ELNET).
2. The online catalogue is an electronically stored dataset that comprises the collections of ELNET member libraries and partner libraries (hereinafter member libraries), operates a common user interface and a common software enabling to search and handle data.
3. The aim of managing the online catalogue is to assemble the bibliographic data, authority data and holdings data into a uniform organised dataset and to provide public access to that dataset. The online catalogue ESTER acts as the basis for compiling the database of the Estonian National Bibliography (ERB).
4. The official name of the online catalogue is „E-kataloog ESTER“, the English-language name is „Online Catalogue ESTER“ and the Russian-language name is „Электронный каталог ESTER“. ESTER is derived from two MARC21 codes used in the online catalogue: EST (Estonian language) and ER (Estonian state).
5. The visual identity of the online catalogue is defined by its logo, wordmark, brand colours and typography (see Annex 1). Misrepresenting or arbitrarily changing the visual identity is prohibited.
6. The online catalogue is registered as a trademark (Reg. No. 44288, see Annex 2).
7. Access to the online catalogue:
7.1. the online catalogue is public and freely accessible in the internet;
7.2. when creating internet access to the online catalogue, the logo or official name of the catalogue must be used;
7.3. for the purpose of copy cataloguing, the data of the online catalogue are freely accessible for all Estonian libraries. Other institutions may copy the data with the permission of ELNET.
COMPILING THE ONLINE CATALOGUE
8. The online catalogue ESTER is compiled by using the integrated library system Sierra (hereinafter software) by the software company Innovative Interfaces Inc. For using the software, separate agreements shall be concluded with members and partners.
9. Bibliographic data, item data and other details are entered in the online catalogue:
9.1. recurrently (for new publications in member libraries);
9.2. retrospectively subject to the timetable set up by member libraries.
10. Generally, member libraries are entitled to amend only the data entered by them. The rules for amending shared records are set out in the document „Procedure for using shared records in online catalogue „ESTER“ (see Annex 3).
11. Basis for creating records:
11.1. Records are created on the basis of International Standard Bibliographic Description, Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules2 (Part II), MARC21 Format for Bibliographic Data, Universal Decimal Classification, Estonian Subject Thesaurus, authority records and guidelines and agreements of ELNET working groups.
11.2. Bibliographic records shall be created in the following completeness:
11.2.1. records of national publications are created by the responsible member library on national bibliography level;
11.2.2. records of foreign publications shall be created on middle level;
11.2.3. upon necessity, a member library has the right to create records on a minimum level.
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS IN MANAGING ONLINE CATALOGUE
12. ELNET is obliged to:
12.1. install, manage, develop, safeguard and, upon necessity, update the central hardware and software required for managing the online catalogue;
12.2. regularly make backup copies of the data in the online catalogue;
12.3. set up working groups;
12.4. ensure the availability of guidelines necessary for the work of member libraries, and to randomly check the compliance with requirements of data entered in the online catalogue;
12.5. prepare and make available the user guides of the online catalogue.
13. Member libraries are obliged to:
13.1. enter data in the catalogue subject to the requirements of clauses 10-11 of these statutes;
13.2. give permission to only authorised employees to enter, amend and delete data in and from the online catalogue;
13.3. suspend the permission of the employee for access to the online catalogue upon the expiry of their authorisation;
13.4. ensure the safety of the online catalogue within their powers;
13.5. appoint their representative(s) to working groups set up by ELNET;
13.6. follow the guidelines and agreements by ELNET working groups.
14. Upon the resignation or exclusion of a member or partner from ELNET, ELNET is entitled to preserve the data of this library in the online catalogue (visible or hidden to the users) or delete the data. The terms and conditions for resignation or exclusion from ELNET are set out in the software usage agreement.
FINANCING OF ONLINE CATALOGUE
15. Licence and management costs of the central software and hardware necessary for the management of the online catalogue shall be covered primarily from the income received from the state budget via the Minsitry of Education and Research and from the budgets of the member libraries.
16. ELNET shall keep accounts of the management costs of the online catalogue pursuant to the procedure prescribed in the Accounting Act and shall report on it to its members and, in the extent of the targeted financing, to the Ministry of Education and Research.