The online catalogue ESTER is the shared catalogue of the ELNET Consortium member libraries (containing information on all documents acquired by these libraries). The catalogue also contains data on the holdings of university college libraries and special libraries.
The official name of the catalogue is "E-kataloog ESTER", the official name in English is "Online Catalogue ESTER". The name ESTER derives from two MARC21 codes used in the online catalogue: EST (code for Estonian language) and ER (country code for Estonia).
Today the shared catalogue is supplemented by 18 libraries, all of them using the integrated library system Sierra/Millennium that is managed by the consortium (the software is developed by US company Innovative Interfaces).
The online catalogue ESTER enables to
- search the catalogue by author, title, subject term, call number, UDC, ISBN, etc.
- identify the exact location of books and other materials in the library
- find out whether the required item is available or on loan
- request books and other materials for use in the library or at home
- use the self-service My ESTER
- send suggestions and purchase recommendations to libraries
- browse the CIP Catalogue for books to be published soon
- stay informed about new acquisitions in member libraries (Featured Lists)
ESTER is constantly updated, along with new acquisitions also by the input of data from card catalogues into the online catalogue. Still, the online catalogue does not reflect comprehensively all the holdings of member libraries and full search should thus also involve on-site search in card catalogues.
To provide access to the catalogue over the internet, one should use the official address (www.ester.ee) together with the logo, or official name.
For the purposes of copy cataloguing, the data of the online catalogue are freely accessible to all Estonian libraries. Other institutions may copy these data upon agreement with ELNET. Read more ...
Logo of the online catalogue ESTER
Click here to download logos.